The Eglinton Kilwinning
Curling Club was officially established at a meeting held on
12th October 1841, when the acting chairman Mr Robert Dickie
reported to those present that ..."the intrem club had been
admitted to the rights and priveleges of the Grand Caledonian
Curling Clubs" on the 27th July 1841.
Membership was restricted to a
maximum of forty-nine persons and the Right Honorable Earl of
Eglinton and Winton was appointed as the President of the Club.
There were several curling
ponds in Kilwinning at that time, the best known being the two
which were created in the Eglinton Estate and the other sited
between King Street and Kilrig in the WoodWynd area of the town.
Before these ponds were established, curling would have been
played on Ashgrove Loch and on the stretch of water at the